I can't resist the J.D. Robb books - I drove to the Tuxedo Park library to pick this one up yesterday, and I'd finished it by dinner time!
Origin in Death by J.D. Robb
(2005, Suspense) 6/25/05
Grade: 4
Eve and Peabody are back, investigating the death of a pioneering plastic surgeon. On the surface, he seems to be a perfect saint - devoted to his work and his family - but Eve wonders what he may be hiding underneath. What she finds will shock everyone.
The usual J.D. Robb formula, but it kept me turning the pages. The non-suspense content is fairly minimal in this one - Roarke has invited his Irish relatives to visit for Thanksgiving, the usual complement of quirky friends appear, and Eve and Roarke have lots of hot sex - no surprises there. But the focus is on the suspense plot, and it’s a really creepy one. The introduction gives away too much, but it’s still very suspenseful and chilling. Enjoyable, although not one of the best in this series.
One note about this one - people who are squeamish about violence against children might find this hard to take. Except for the introduction, the violence is all implied, but the situation is deeply creepy, and it involves children, which is something some readers want to avoid. I found it disturbing but fascinating (what does that say about me, I wonder?)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm a little surprised that the library released this book before the July pub date. But Amazon has already started shipping.
One question, how does the violence in this book compare to Survivor in Death?
It's hard for me to compare - I'm not particularly bothered by violent scenes (I love watching CSI) so I'm not sure how to judge it. This book isn't explicitly violent - and I don't want to give too much away - but the villain is involved in killing children, in a particularly creepy way. He does it painlessly and "lovingly" which just made it worse in my opinion.
Post a Comment