Even though I enjoy a humorous book from time to time, I have a much harder time finding funny books than I do finding serious ones. It's hard to find a funny book that suits my sense of humor - many of them seem too silly, too "wacky", or just not funny to me. But I hate to give up and just read angst, because sometimes it's fun to laugh!
The Vicar's Daughter by Deborah Simmons
(1995, Regency Historical) 5/18/06
Grade: 4
When straight laced Lord Wycliffe first meets Charlotte, the vicar’s daughter, he is immediately struck by her beauty and sweetness, and warmed by her loving family. But nothing could ever come of it. When Charlotte comes to London for a season, he’s perfectly proper - but there’s something about her that makes him want to throw away his timetables!
A cute book that manages to be funny without being too wacky or too sweet. The story is typical - she brings life and laughter to his staid life - but it’s well done and the hero and heroine are very likeable. The book starts to falter in the second half - the author seems to run out of story and throws in a crazed suitor to fill out the page count - but the characters are so charming, it’s hard to complain too much.
I read this one on the train, and I got some odd looks when I started giggling.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think I'm going to have to reread this one because I don't remember it being that humorous. Although, I suppose her family was definite comic relief of a sorts.
Post a Comment