Sunday, May 28, 2006

Second Time's The Charm

I tried to read this book a few months ago, but got tripped up by all the characters (about ten of them are introduced in the first chapter). I'm glad I gave it a second chance.

Coming Home by Jean Brashear (HSR 1251)
(2005, Contemporary Series) 5/27/06
Grade: 4

When their 14 year old son was killed in a drunk driving accident - caused by their 18 year old daughter - Cleo and Malcolm’s long marriage fell apart. But now, six years later, Victoria is back, with a son of her own - and despite the pain, Cleo and Malcolm can’t help remembering the love and joy they once had.

This book was like being thrown into the middle of a soap opera. Once I’d figured out the characters, the story was heartfelt and compelling, if a bit overpopulated. The chemistry between the hero and heroine was wonderful. The secondary characters were well drawn as well, but the story could have used a bit more focus - the girlfriend’s pregancy seemed like one conflict too many, especially with so many other relationships to explore. But in the end, the strength of the characters carried it through.

Despite a few flaws, this is what HSR does best - angst and romance in a contemporary setting.

No comments: