Monday, September 04, 2006

Action On The Page

Even though I was a big fan of Alias and other "butt kicking heroine" TV shows, I don't usually enjoy them in book form. To me, action just doesn't translate well to the page. But every now and then, I'll try one.

Once a Thief by Michele Hauf (SB 49)
(2005, Contemporary Series) 9/4/06
Grade: 3.5

Trained as a jewel thief since she was a teenager and kept as a virtual prisoner, Rachel finally escapes and lives an anonymous life as a security consultant. But when the ruby she’s supposed to protect is stolen, she has to steal it back - and finds herself thrown back into her old life, and into the arms of a safe cracker who once showed her kindness and love.

At its best, this is like an episode of Alias - cat burglers climbing over the roof, and cross-and-double-cross intrigue. (I think action works better on screen than it does on the page, but this was kind of fun.) I was most interested in the psychological side - how she’s building a new life after years of brainwashing, and her confrontation with her former master - but the cat burglar stuff was fun too. But the romance with Jason wasn’t as effective, although he’s an intriguing hero - not enough time for a relationship in between the punches. (Hauf also has an odd writing style, although I got used to it.) It could have been better, but it was a fun read.

There were a few silly plot points in this one - incapacitation by orgasm? - but the world Hauf created was intriguing. I'd like to know more about villain Christian Lazar!

No comments: