Saturday, September 16, 2006

The Demise of the Regency

When the word came down that Signet and Zebra were abandoning the Regency, I put in a big order at Amazon. I ordered every recent Regency that seemed to have any potential at all, in hopes of finding a great read. So far, I've been disappointed - out of that entire group of 2005-2006 Regencies, I haven't found one excellent book yet. (Besides the ones I reviewed here, there were several more I couldn't finish.) I have just one left - I'm crossing my fingers!

The Marriage List by Dorothy McFalls
(2005, Regency) 9/16/06
Grade: 2.5

After being wounded on the Penninsula, Radford, Viscount Evers, has decided to do his duty and get married. He’s even picked out the perfect girl - she’s feather-brained and a bit mean, but she fulfills all the qualities on his “marriage list”. If only he wasn’t intrigued by May, who is being pressured into marriage to an elderly neighbor to protect her beloved aunt.

So frustrating! At first, I thought this would be an enjoyable Regency. The characters were interesting, even if the situation was cliched. But as the book continued, the characters just kept spinning in place, and becoming more and more annoying. The hero’s insistence on marriage to the nasty Lady Lillian started to seem stupid instead of befuddled, and the heroine’s dithering became TSTL instead of charming. Add in some silly misunderstandings and out-of-nowhere plot twists at the end, and you have a frustrating reading experience. And I really wanted to like this book!!

Thankfully I have over 200 Regencies in my boxes of TBR books. Maybe those older books will be more promising.

No comments: