Friday, September 08, 2006

At Last! A Great Book!

I picked up this book when I was browsing at Waldens - I haven't heard anything about it online, and it's too bad people are missing out!

Lost Cause by Janice Kay Johnson
(2006, Contemporary Series) 9/6/06
Grade: 4.5

After a motorcycle accident, Gary decides to contact his sisters, who he hasn’t seen since he was three. After his parents death, they were separated, and he was adopted by abusive parents. Gary is reluctant to open his heart up to anyone - but maybe it’s time to start fresh - and maybe the red-headed social worker is also worth a bit of his heart as well.

A really wonderful, emotional read - one of my best reads of the year, almost a keeper. The author does a great job depicting Gary - his reluctance to feel and love, and his struggles to overcome the past. The romance takes second place to Gary’s emotional journey and his relationship with his sisters, but there was enough connection between the hero and heroine to convince me, especially in the second half. These characters seemed like real people, and I didn’t want the book to end so I had to say goodbye to them!

The next book in the series is coming out in November, although it's a "cute kid" book, like so many other series books these days.

No comments: