I've never understood why American historicals aren't more popular. Millions of people visit historical sites like Williamsburg and read nonfiction books about American history, but American-set books are currently "out of style". Although I like English historicals, there's something particularly compelling to me about stories set here in the U.S.
So Wide The Sky by Elizabeth Grayson
(1997, Western) 9/12/06
Grade: 4
Nine years after she was captured by Indians at age 15, Cassie now has to readjust to white society. The tattoo on her cheek ensures that no one can forget her past. She reconnects with her childhood sweetheart, Drew, now a bitter widower who hates Indians - but it’s the half-Indian tracker, Hunter, who understands being caught between two worlds.
A compelling story about a unique heroine. I’ve never read anything quite like it. It’s brutally honest about the white’s view of Indians during the 1960’s, and the Indian response to the white settlers. (Most books gloss over both of these.) But a lot of the book is somewhat depressing to read. Cassie’s relationship with Drew is painful and frustrating, and her relationship with Hunter doesn’t really develop until almost the end of the book. I was glad I read it, but I was also glad when it was over.
It was hard to grade and review this book, because I think I'll remember it for a long time - but it wasn't always "fun" to read.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm a big fan of American Historicals too, whether it's a Western or Colonial story - often the grittier the better and I don't understand why they aren't more popular either. To me, the hero of one of those would be much more of a manly man so to speak than some duke or viscount or other member of the 'ton' who has people who dress him :) I've read a number of Elizabeth Grayson books but this one doesn't sound familiar. I'll have to track it down!
I love American historicals too, I love Westerns and like you, Kristie J. I'm surprised it's not more popular, seeing that the cowboys who spend all day long on the range, working their big muscles and what not are more popular than the Dukes and what not...but me? I love me some gun totin', stetson wearing yummy studs! ;)
I've never read a Western by this author but that will change in the near future.
Post a Comment