One thing that I love about Balogh is that she can write a book that's focused on characters - she doesn't feel the need to throw in spy plots and adventure stories, but trusts that the hero and heroine can carry a book on their own. Whenever I hear criticisms of Balogh's books being "all the same", I don't really understand it - to me, it's the endless spy stories and suspense plots that seem "all the same". Character-based stories are always different, because each character has a different way of looking at the world and interacting with people.
A Summer to Remember by Mary Balogh
(2002, Regency Historical) 7/4/07
Grade: 4
Although Lauren always thought of herself as the perfect lady, she’s wondering what comes next, after being left at the altar. Kit Butler is dangerous and exciting - the man her family warns her against. But maybe Kit can give her a summer of adventures and excitement, before she resigns herself to life as a spinster - but love isn’t part of the bargain.
There is a lot to like in this book. Kit and Lauren are sympathetic and charming characters, and their interplay is a lot of fun. Although the book starts off a bit slowly, as Lauren and Kit spend more time together, their interactions become more and more fun. The family dynamics of Kit’s family are reminiscent of The Temporary Wife (although not quite as touching). The problems are relatively minor. There are a lot of secondary characters (it’s hard to keep track of everyone) - in particular, the Bedwyns, who the author keeps throwing into the book even when it doesn’t seem necessary. I felt pulled out of the story every time the author extolled the virtues of the Bedwyns. However, Lauren and Kit’s happy ending left me with a smile on my face.
Although I'm determined to read the Slightly series next, nothing in this book attracted me to the Bedwyns or made me eager to read their stories. Even though the author was plainly "advertising" her next book when she introduced the Bedwyns, they didn't seem particularly sympathetic. It was almost as if she was daring the reader - "I'm going to write about unsympathetic, arrogant people, and you're going to LIKE IT." An odd approach for Balogh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment