Like half of America, I spent the weekend reading the last Harry Potter book. I'm not going to review it, but my only real complaint was that there wasn't enough Snape - there was a long flashback, but I would have liked a real encounter between Harry and Snape. But that's a minor quibble.
But what struck me was how "romance-y" the epilogue was. I haven't read "children's books" in a long time, and I've never read a lot of fantasy, so I don't really know if that's a typical ending for this type of book. But the "see the future with lots of kids" ending definitely reminded me of the endings of many romance series, where everyone is happy with lots of babies, and often we'll see the hero as a doting father. I'm not a huge fan of these endings in romances (they often come across as saccharine) but it seemed an appropriate ending for Harry Potter.
But I couldn't help wondering - does J.K. Rowling read romance?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment