My experience with Sharan Newman reminded me of why I don't read much mystery any more. Even very good mysteries tend to lose my interest after a couple of books in the series - I often find them repetitive and get tired of the same characters and same situations. But I'm going to give the Kate Ross books a try - there are only four books in the series (due to the author's untimely death) and so far, I'm enjoying them.
A Broken Vessel by Kate Ross
(1994, Regency Historical Mystery) 7/25/07
Grade: 3.5
Julian Kestrel is sleuthing again. When Sally Stokes has troubling encounters with three men, she goes to visit her brother Dipper, and discovers a mysterious letter that is tied to the death of a girl in a “reformation house”. Julian, Dipper and Sally are determined to identify the murderer, although the more they investigate, the murkier it becomes.
An intriguing view of the dark side of Regency life. Julian is still a great “detective” hero, although very little of his personal side is revealed here. The mystery is convoluted - maybe a bit too convoluted in places - but it comes together nicely, and all the clues were there from the beginning. The book was well written and I enjoyed reading it, but it didn’t grab me as much as the first book in the series did.
When I was younger, I read a lot of mysteries - I loved Agatha Christie but I also enjoyed other authors. But as I've gotten older, they just don't appeal as much. I love watching mysteries on TV (everything from CSI to Prime Suspect) so maybe I get my fix that way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment