This series has been oddly uneven for me. I've enjoyed every other book - and disliked the ones in between. Maybe I'm better off with my usual reading style, which is to pick and choose among books in a series, only reading the ones that sound appealing.
Slightly Scandalous by Mary Balogh
(2003, Regency Historical) 7/10/07
Grade: 2.5
Hoping to escape her former fiance, Freya Bedwyn heads for Bath. On the way, a stranger bursts into her room. She quickly finds that he’s Joshua Moore, the Marquess of Hallmere, one of the few men who can go toe-to-toe with the fierce Freya Bedwyn. When she agrees to pose as his fiancee, she begins to realize she may have met her match.
Very disappointing - I wasn’t able to finish. A lot of people disliked Freya as a character, but I didn’t find her that objectionable. She had more reason to be a “fiesty heroine” than most romance heroines, given her background and position. But I didn’t feel any chemistry between her and the hero. I guess their dialogue was supposed to be “sparkling and witty” but I just found it dull. It felt totally predictable, and just didn’t move me in any way. I finally gave up.
It's very hard to explain why one hero and heroine have great "chemistry" and another hero and heroine do not. (I guess that's why I'm not an author!) It's easy for me to criticize a book when it contains elements that I don't like, or if the characters are just not believable. But that wasn't the case here. Even though I liked the hero and heroine well enough, they just didn't seem to sparkle together. Very hard to explain... makes me glad I'm not a "real" book reviewer any more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment