I decided to jump right back into Balogh's Slightly series, even though I was wary after my bad experience with the last book...
Slightly Wicked by Mary Balogh
(2003, Regency Historical) 7/9/2007
Grade: 3.5
Judith Law is on her way to a life as a poor relation. When she ends up with a handsome stranger, she decides to take the chance for one night of passion. But when the stranger turns out to be a neighbor, Rannulf Bedwyn, who is courting her cousin, the situation becomes very awkward. But Rannulf begins to wonder if he’s courting the wrong cousin...
This was a great improvement over the first Bedwyn book. The characters were likeable and the story was interesting (especially after I got past the endless sex scene that started the book). The writing style is smooth and easy to read, and the Bedwyns only make a few brief appearances. My main criticism is that there wasn’t much emotional engagement with the characters - they were nice enough but it didn’t have the emotional impact of Balogh’s other books. I had to downgrade this book compared to One Night For Love or Summer To Remember because my emotions weren’t engaged in the same way. Maybe that means I’m grading on a curve - judging Balogh by different standards than other authors - but I know she can do more!
I'm so relieved that the Slightly series isn't going to be a complete bust for me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment