Sunday, August 19, 2007

Are You A Blue Cow?

I've picked up a bit of Regency cant over the years, but "blue cow" is a new one to me. I'm not sure what this one means, but the heroine is called a "blue cow" several times...

Wife Errant by Joan Smith
(1992, Regency) 8/18/07
Grade: 3

Tess is at her wit's end. Her father is running around with a notorious widow, and her mother is threatening divorce. No one is considering how the scandal will affect Tess and her younger sister Dulcie! In desparation, Tess approaches Lord Revel, a neighbor and rake, to give her parents a wake-up call. This relationship is just supposed to be an act... isn’t it?

A perky Regency, by an author who knows far too much about Regency cant, and is determined to throw it into any scene she can. The story itself is fluff, and the characters rather stereotypical, but still, the characters are entertaining, and it was fun for a while. I got tired of it by the end - the characters just didn’t have a lot of depth, and the story got repetitive by the last chapters.

I suppose this would be considered an "old style Regency" although Joan Smith continued writing this type of book well into the 1990's. This one had a definite zest, although it needed a better plot to keep the characters interesting.

No comments: