I had some fun, digging out some old relics from my TBR "pile". (Actually, 28 boxes.) Some of my finds were unsuccessful, but I found some interesting books, hiding in the depths of my TBR. First, two Hollywood books:
I Know My Love by Vivian Connolly (THH 10)
(1983, Contemporary Series) 8/7/07
Grade: 3.5
Three years after their impulsive marriage, Irish actor Brian and American up-and-comer Katie seem to have the perfect marriage. But as Katie’s career takes off (and takes her to Hollywood), they both begin to wonder if their marriage can take the strain of separations and doubt, especially as Katie’s career begins to eclipse Brian’s.
The story was somewhat predictable (cue A Star Is Born) but the author did an excellent job at showing the hero and heroine as a real married couple - a lot of “marriage in trouble” books just focus on the problems and don’t ever show their underlying connection. Brian and Katie have an underlying rapport (as well as sexual atttraction) that makes the reader believe in them. She also makes their love of acting seem real, instead of the unreal “romance novel actors” that you often see in books. Their problems aren’t huge, but the author shows how the small things begin to add up and take them apart from each other. Even though the story was somewhat predictable, it’s one of the stronger entries in this series line (which never really found its voice, unfortuately).
Fantasies by Pamela Wallace (SIM 24)
(1983, Contemporary Series) 8/8/07
Grade: 4.5
Devon O’Neill has spent her career working her way up the ladder as a producer, and now she’s been named the head of UFS studios. Although it’s a dream come true, she quickly runs into problems, especially when it comes to producer Spencer Tait. Although she’s attracted to him and admires his work, her position means she can’t openly admit her feelings.
An intriguing and seemingly realistic view of life in Hollywood. Although Devon is perhaps a bit young for her job, the author shows how she worked her way up and her skills at managing the studio. I found both characters extremely well written and real. The book deals with some interesting issues about women in the workplace, becoming your friends’ boss, and balancing career and love - all things that are just as relevant today as they were in 1983. I was afraid the relationship would turn into a typical “I hate you - I love you” story, but Wallace sidesteps that romance cliche and builds a relationship built on mutual respect - how refreshing! She also deals head-on with the career vs. family problem, and doesn’t automatically have the heroine choose love while throwing aside everything else. All in all, this was a wonderful surprise - I wasn’t expecting such a mature, satisfying book, but I’m so glad I found it!
What fun to find buried treasure from the early 80's. One thing that always amuses me, though. Whenever romance writers have their characters appear in movies, they always appear in sweeping historical epics. This always seems like wishful thinking more than reality - the kind of movies that romance writers think Hollywood should produce, rather than what they really do. Not that historical epics don't come out every now and then, but if you based your view of the movies on romance novels, you'd think they were the most popular films in Hollywood.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment