What is Harlequin trying to do with Harlequin Everlasting? I can't quite figure it out. In theory, I like the idea of exploring long term relationships. It's a nice change to read about an established couple, rather than the typical courtship story. But I'm not sure if this series line is the answer.
The Marriage Bed by Judith Arnold (HE 7)
(2007, Contemporary Series) 8/11/07
Grade: 3.5
37 years after Drew Foster left Joelle pregnant and alone, he’s come back, asking for help to save his son. Joelle married childhood friend Bobby DeFranco, and they built a happy life together, but they never told their daughter that she wasn’t Bobby’s biological child. Will their family survive the secrets that Drew stirred up with his unexpected visit?
An interesting book that tries to do too much in a relatively short space. (A problem that plagues many of the Harlequin Everlasting titles.) The book is split between the present and flashbacks of Joelle and Bobby’s early life together. These flashbacks are important and poignant, but they take up a lot of space in a 270 page book, which leaves the present-day scenes feeling shortchanged. I also found the family’s reactions to the revelation a bit overwrought (maybe because I’m adopted and it just didn’t seem that earthshattering to me). The over-the-top reaction sometimes seemed more of a plot device than a real emotional response. And yet, the connection between Bobby and Joelle is always there, and it holds together the book even when the structure feels forced. This book was definitely flawed, but the strong characterization of the hero and heroine made it worth reading despite those flaws.
I'm reminded of a series book from the 1990's, A Husband By Any Other Name by Cheryl St. John. The premise has some similarities to this book - a long married couple is rocked by a secret from the past - but somehow, Cheryl St. John was able to make the story work despite the short length. (But, then, Cheryl St. John can do most anything, so maybe it's an unfair comparison. :->)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment