After reading The Earl's Prize, I had to run out and find Juliana's story, although I read a few books between the two!
Wayward Widow by Nicola Cornick
(2003, Regency) 8/26/07
Grade: 3
Wicked widow Juliana Myfleet is notorious among the ton for her gambling and outrageous stunts. But underneath it all, Juliana is lonely and uses “fun” to divert her from the emptiness of her life. When she meets serious aspiring politician Martin Davencourt (after a childhood acquaintance) she can’t take him seriously - but also can’t help but be attracted.
Surprisingly disappointing, considering how much I enjoyed the previous book. I love an experienced heroine, but there was something about Juliana that just didn’t ring true, especially when it came to her relationship with Martin. I can’t put my finger on it exactly, but there just weren’t any sparks between them. Martin, in particular, didn’t seem to have a lot of personality other than his devotion to his siblings. But still, I would have graded it a bit higher if it hadn’t been for a “twist” in the final chapter, which came out of nowhere and didn’t add anything to the story other than a big “huh?” It made no sense and ended the story on an odd, almost creepy note.
Sometimes I feel sorry for authors. Why does one couple sparkle together, while another couple just fizzles? It's a factor that will make or break a book for me, and yet I can't explain exactly why one book works and another doesn't, even by the same author! I'll stick to my chemistry in the laboratory... it's more reliable!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment