Saturday, August 18, 2007

What Makes A Book Sexy?

I've had mixed results with Lisa Cach - she wrote a short story that was a keeper for me, but her longer books haven't been very successful so far. But based on her previous works, I thought she might be able to to write something fun and sexy.

The Erotic Secrets of a French Maid by Lisa Cach
(2006, Contemporary) 8/17/07
Grade: 3

In order to make ends meet while trying to find a job as an architect, Emma took a part-time job cleaning houses. But she didn’t expect to meet a sexy client like Russ! Workaholic nerd Russ thinks Emma is out of his league. But when she suggests that she might like to be his mistress - and when Russ mistakenly takes her up on it - things begin to get interesting.

At first, I really enjoyed this book. The characters were well written and unique, and the author took a lighthearted approach to the sex scenes that made them fun and erotic. But instead of the sex getting more fun and enjoyable as the book went on, it became awkward and joyless instead. (Supposedly they found more satisfaction as they fell in love, but the sex scenes just became more tedious instead of sexier.) I got frustrated as the hero and heroine persisted in their misunderstandings, and pushed each other away, long past the point when it made sense. I was really hoping that Lisa Cach could write an erotic novel that was both heartfelt and fun, but this one just fell flat.

I keep hoping that some author will write an erotic novel that has sex scenes that are fun and joyful. Even though sex is supposed to be enjoyable, most sex scenes in erotica seem more like work, even when the characters are purportedly happy. Most erotic authors just don't capture the playful, fun aspects of sex. One of the sexiest books I've ever read was a Harlequin Temptation from 1991 - Forbidden Fantasy by Tiffany White. The characters don't actually have intercourse until almost the end of the book, but the whole book is extended foreplay - scenarios that make sex lighthearted and teasing and fun. I find that much more appealing than the approach of most erotica, which seems to take all the fun out of sex and turns it into homework.

No comments: