I have become a huge fan of chefs and cooking - from watching them on Iron Chef America and Top Chef to reading books like Kitchen Confidential or Cook Like a Chef, I just love it. I'm surprised there aren't more romances about chefs, considering how trendy they are at the moment.
The Chef's Choice by Kristin Hardy (SSE 1919)
(2008, Contemporary Series) 8/16/08
Grade: 4
Damon Hurst was once a well regarded chef, but after being fired, he needs to find his way back, and taking over the restaurant at the Compass Rose Inn in rural Maine might be his chance. Cady McBain has been part of her family’s inn since childhood, and she won’t let some celebrity chef ruin it - but maybe Damon is more than his bad boy reputation.
I love chef heroes, and this book does a better job than most in creating a realistic working environment. I loved hearing about Damon’s concern about his dishes, his frustrations at finding produce, his attitude in the kitchen. His attraction to Cady was well done. I also liked Cady as a character, and the conflict between them was realistic. However, overall the book was a bit forgettable. By the next day, I didn’t remember much about the romance, although I remembered the descriptions of the cooking and kitchen work. That’s what made it stand out - otherwise it could have been any other book. Enjoyable and easy to read, but not all that unique.
I have to admit, if this book hadn't featured all the great scenes in the kitchen, I would have probably found it pedestrian.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment