Wednesday, August 20, 2008

His Secret Past by Ellen Hartman

When I go to the bookstore and see the endless rows of babies and cowboys and billionaires in the series romance section, I sometimes despair of ever finding something I'll enjoy! It's nice to know there are still some series books that I can enjoy.

His Secret Past by Ellen Hartman (HSR 1491)
(2008, Contemporary Series) 8/15/08
Grade: 4

Documentary filmmaker Anna Walsh wants to make a film about rock band Five Star - and hopefully find out what ended the career of lead singer Mason Star. Mason is finally clean and sober, and has devoted his life to his son and Mulligans, a community devoted to second chances. The last thing he wants to do is relive his past. But there's something about Anna...

The author does a great job creating a group of realistic, heartfelt characters. By the end of the book, I felt like I’d really gotten to know all of them, from Anna and Mason to Joe, Christian, Stephanie, and the others. I wanted to know what happened to them in their pasts, and where they were going in the future. However, although there was strong chemistry between Anna and Mason, their relationship was just one thread among many. The romance could have been more front and center. But this is a fairly minor criticism. Overall, I really enjoyed getting to know these characters, and found the book rewarding.

I'm grateful to review sites for bringing books like this to my attention - I can't remember where I first heard about this one, but I probably wouldn't have picked it up without a review.

No comments: