Friday, August 01, 2008

Kiss The Cook by Jacquie D'Alessandro

When it comes to series books, enjoyable characters and charm go a long way for me. Things that might wear thin in a longer book work perfectly in a shorter, lighter read. Sometimes it's just relaxing to enjoy a charming, well written story about likeable people.

Kiss the Cook by Jacquie D'Alessandro (ZB 46)
(2000, Contemporary Series) 7/28/08
Grade: 4

When caterer Melanie Gibson double parks in front of an office building, she has no idea she's about to meet the man of her dreams! After years of taking care of his family, Chris Bishop is ready to live the life of a carefree bachelor - but that was before he met Mel. Something about her makes his thoughts of swinging bachelor life disappear.

This was a cute and charming romance that was easy and fun to read. I really liked the hero and heroine, who were both likeable and came across as real people that you'd like to know. There was also a lot of sexual tension, even though the book wasn't very explicit. (I could have done without the constant references to the hero's erection, though.) The book lost a little bit of momentum in the second half, simply because there wasn't much conflict - the attraction between the two is immediate and there's really nothing keeping them apart, and the author doesn't belabor their doubts for too long - but it was a nice way to spend a couple of hours. I found myself speeding through this book and enjoying myself thoroughly (even in a cramped airplane seat!) My only regret was that it was over too soon.

I discovered that this book was re-released as a single title in 2006. It might be a little thin for a single title book, but I'm glad it didn't get lost when Zebra Bouquet disappeared.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.