Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Date Next Door by Gina Wilkins

The Date Next Door by Gina Wilkins (SSE 1799)
(2006, Contemporary Series) 8/21/08
Grade: 3

When Nic’s widowed neighbor, Joel Brannon, needs a date to his high school reunion, she’s glad to accept - as a friend. But once they start spending time together, she starts wondering, is being “just friends” enough? And can he accept her job as a small town police officer?

This book was well written, with some interesting conflicts (instead of the hero being a police officer, it’s the heroine - and it’s the hero who finds it difficult to deal with her job). But overall, it was kind of boring. I found myself losing interest in it fairly quickly. The characters were well drawn, the situation realistic and well written - but after a while, it just felt too predictable, without much pep or passion to make it unique.

I debated about how to grade this one, because I can't really say anything bad about it... but it just felt totally predictable.

No comments: