Friday, August 01, 2008

The Discarded Duke by Nancy Butler

I'm not usually worried about "spoilers". I read a lot of reviews, looking for new books and new authors, and for the most part, I want the review to give me a good understanding of what the book is about, even if that means revealing spoilers. For example, I remember picking up a book based on reviews that said the heroine was infertile, and implied that she and the hero would have to deal with that issue in their relationship. In actuality, the heroine becomes pregnant very early in the book, and the book turned into a very typical "cutie patootie baby book". Not what I was expecting, and not a book I would have bought if I'd known. I felt like the reviewer should have said something, rather than giving a misleading impression of the book in an attempt to avoid "spoilers". (And I have never bought that author again, even though she is now a big name - I still feel like she stole my money under false pretenses.)

However, sometimes spoilers really do "spoil" a book. I read a review of this book that revealed a huge secret that was a big part of the book's plot, and I just didn't think it was necessary to give a clear idea of what the book was about. When I started reading this book, I immediately remembered the review, and it changed my view of the book, since I knew from the start what was going to happen. Would my experience with this book have been different if I'd come into it cold?

(By the way, I am not revealing any spoilers in my review!)

The Discarded Duke by Nancy Butler
(2002, Regency) 7/30/08
Grade: 4.5

Widowed and deeply in debt, Ursula Roarke sees her chance when she meets the Duke of Ardsley. But when she visits his estate, where he hopes to set up a stud farm, she finds herself unaccountably attracted to the baliff, William Ridd. After suffering abuse, Will has turned his sheep into the best in England - but a romance with a well born lady is impossible, isn’t it?

This book had wonderful, compelling characters and an emotional core that made me care about them. All of the four main characters - Ursula, Ardsley, Will and the duke’s onetime love, Judith - were sympathetic and well drawn. Even in a fairly short book, the author was able to make me believe in the attraction between Ursula and Will, and feel the yearning that kept drawing them together. There was a lot going on in this book, between the love story, the sheep farm and the “big secret”, but I thought Butler was able to explore all of them without feeling rushed, at least up until the end. The only flaw was the ending, which wrapped up the stories a little too quickly. Will’s choice made sense, but it was such a monumental decision in his life, and it felt rushed. I guessed the “big secret” very early in the book, but I felt that it was handled well, and I never felt like the author was dragging it out. All in all, an excellent book with real, heartfelt emotion.

When I think of the "casualties" of the elimination of the Regency, I think Nancy Butler's name has to be on the list. I don't know what she's doing now, but she hasn't published since Signet went under. Although I haven't loved all of her books, I saw a lot of promise in them - they had the deep characterization and heartfelt emotion of Mary Balogh or Mary Jo Putney. But I guess this style of writing just doesn't fit with the current trend of lusty historical romps, and she didn't have the name recognition to continue to publish her quieter, more thoughtful books in the single title format. It's too bad, and I hope I see her books again someday.

No comments: